2012 Spring New Voices Titles Announced
For the past few months, the 2012 New Voices Committee has been hard at work, reading more than 80 titles by first-time authors. Their task? To pick the top debuts published between January 1 and June 30, 2012 in two categories: Ages 8 - 12 and Teen. The results are in, and the committee’s top six picks in each category are featured on a flier arriving at ABA member stores in the May Children’s White Box mailing.
The 2012 Spring New Voices titles, picked by kids’ booksellers for bringing something fresh and exciting to literature for children and teens, are:
Ages 8 - 12
Child of the Mountains, by Marilyn Sue Shank (Delacorte/Random House)
Glory Be, by Augusta Scattergood (Scholastic Press)
If Only, by Carole Geithner (Scholastic Press)
May B., by Caroline Starr Rose (Schwartz & Wade/Random House)
My Mixed-Up Berry Blue Summer, by Jennifer Gennari (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- We’ve Got a Job: The 1963 Birmingham Children’s March, by Cynthia Levinson (Peachtree Publishers)
Breaking Beautiful, by Jennifer Shaw Wolf (Bloomsbury)
Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles, by Marissa Meyer (Feiwel & Friends/Macmillan)
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, by Jesse Andrews (Abrams)
Wonder Show, by Hannah Barnaby (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
Something Like Normal, by Trish Doller (Bloomsbury)
- Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo (Henry Holt/Macmillan)
The spring flier will also feature 10 “Now in Paperback” titles from previous years’ New Voices picks.
Additional marketing materials, including bookmarks, a counter sign, and shelf-talkers, to promote the New Voice’s spring picks will be sent in the White Box mailing exclusively to members of the ABC Group at ABA.
The members of the New Voices Committee (listed below) are still hard at work reading debuts that will be published on or after July 1. The committee will reconvene in late summer to pickthe top 10 middle grade and 10 young adult debut books of the year. All of this year’s spring picks will be eligible for the honor. The Best New Voices of 2012 will be featured in the ABC Best Books for Children Catalog, as well as on special promotional materials that will be sent exclusively to members of the ABC Group.
The 2012 Spring New Voices picks are now featured with bookseller quotes on IndieBound.org.
2012 New Voices Committee
- Committee Chair Meghan Goel, BookPeople, Austin, Texas
- Chair Emeritus Cathy Berner, Blue Willow Bookshop, Houston, Texas
- Liesl Freudenstein, Boulder Book Store, Boulder Colorado
- Ellen Davis, Dragonwings, Waupaca, Wisconsin
- Suzanna Hermans, Oblong Books, Rhinebeck, New York
- Sarah Hutton, Village Books, Fairhaven, Washington
- Emily Grossenbacher, Lemuria Books, Jackson, Mississippi
- Becky Quiroga Curtis, Books & Books, Coral Gables, Florida
- Robert McDonald, The Book Stall, Winnetka, Illinois
- Brandi Stewart, Changing Hands Bookstore, Tempe, Arizona
- Walter Petryk, Community Bookstore, Brooklyn, New York
- Antonia Squire, Kepler’s Books, Menlo Park, California