As the COVID-19 outbreak begins to have a significant impact on small businesses, the American Booksellers Association is committed to providing as many resources as possible to independent bookseller members.
Booksellers can visit the dedicated Coronavirus Resources for Booksellers page on BookWeb to find critical information about immediate steps to take; support being offered by publishers, wholesalers, and vendors; ABA’s initiatives during the outbreak; opportunities for financial assistance; and more.
Booksellers are also invited to join an open forum to discuss their questions and concerns and share support and ideas about the COVID-19 outbreak with colleagues. The “COVID-19 Open Forum” meetings will be held via Zoom every weekday from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET through April 30. Join the Zoom calls here; the meeting ID is 749 778 583. ABA’s membership team will moderate the forum.
Additionally, the COVID-19 Bookseller-to-Bookseller Forum on BookWeb offers a place for booksellers to talk with one another about their concerns at any time of day.
As temporary store closings and modified business hours have made it difficult or impossible for some stores to accept shipments, publishers have reached out to ask how they can still get ARCs and galleys into booksellers’ hands. Booksellers can now opt-in to share their email address with publishers, indicating that they would like opportunities to receive digital and/or physical galleys and ARCs, potentially sent to their home address if their store is not accepting shipments. Booksellers from active ABA member stores will need to log in to BookWeb.org to sign up. (Don’t have an account? Create one here.) Publishers can learn more and get started here.
The following is ABA’s current coverage of the COVID-19 outbreak and further resources for booksellers:
- Fiscal Relief Initiatives for Small Businesses During COVID-19 Outbreak
- Retailers’ Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19
- Publishers, Wholesalers, Vendors Offer Support for Booksellers
- Binc Prepares for COVID-19 Assistance to Booksellers and Comic Retailers
- Tips for Managing Cash Flow in a Crisis
- Sales Surge on IndieCommerce Sites as Readers Practice Social Distancing
- Indie Bookstores Pivot to Boost Business During COVID-19 Outbreak
- Indie Booksellers Promote Shopping Local During Coronavirus Outbreak
Booksellers are encouraged to reach out to ABA with any questions or concerns during this unprecedented time in bookselling.