Winter Institute 2017’s Consultation Station, which is open to all institute attendees, will feature representatives from the American Booksellers Association’s affiliated business solution partners, POS vendors, and others.
The Consultation Station will be open in the Hyatt Exhibit Hall at the Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, as follows:
- Sunday, January 29, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (with a break for lunch from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.)
- Monday, January 30, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:35 a.m. and from 1:35 p.m. to 5:20 p.m. (with a break for lunch from 11:35 a.m. to 1:35 p.m.)
Vendors will welcome walk-ins during Consultation Station hours, but booksellers are encouraged to make appointments with specific vendors in advance; contact information is provided below and on the Consultation Station page on BookWeb.org.
Above the Treeline / Edelweiss
Above the Treeline offers Edelweiss and Treeline Analytics, web-based tools for the book industry to help connect readers with books.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Joe Foster or call (734) 996-2730.
- For more information, visit AbovetheTreeline.com.
Anthology is a point of sale/inventory control solution offering software, POS hardware, and Dell computers for in-store, off-site, and remote access. Optional modules are available for credit cards, gift cards, used books, and QB links.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Jim Bean or call (800) 819-0095, ext. 103.
- For more information, visit Anthology.com.
Applied Merchant Services
AMS, ABA’s endorsed merchant service provider, offers exclusive rates to members, accepting every type of payment in any type of environment including face-to-face, e-commerce, mobile, invoicing, and reoccurring.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Jeff Gallo or call (800) 236-2179, ext. 7825.
- For more information, visit AppliedMerchant.com.
Basil Bookseller Software is a complete, web-based inventory control system that supports new, used, and online book sales. Now with mobile capability, Basil provides even more options for businesses on the go.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Mike McKnight or call (678) 267-2974.
- For more information, visit BasilSoftware.com.
Book Industry Charitable (Binc) Foundation
The Binc Foundation is dedicated to supporting the people who work in bookstores. Binc has assisted more than 7,000 households in thousands of communities across the U.S. and has provided more than $6 million in financial assistance and scholarships since 1996.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Pam French or call (734) 477-4789.
- For more information, visit BincFoundation.org.
BookExpo & BookCon
BookExpo is a premium trade event offering business meetings, innovative conference programming, networking opportunities, and author interactions. BookCon is the number-one event to launch books and generate meaningful in-person and social engagement between authors, fans, brands, and media.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Jennifer Martin or call (203) 840-5454.
- For more information, visit BookExpoAmerica.com.
Booklog offers POS/inventory management software with all the latest retail technology to successfully manage retail operations.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Gwen Fishbeck or call (773) 275-4437, ext. 229.
- For more information, visit Booklog.com.
Children’s Book Council
The Children’s Book Council and Every Child a Reader will host the 98th annual Children’s Book Week, May 1-7, 2017, and is looking to increase indie bookstore support.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Carl Lennertz or call (212) 996-1990.
- For more information, visit CBCBooks.org.
Computac, Inc. [i]merchant
[i]merchant is a point-of-sale and inventory management system for ordering, receiving, returns, and customer tracking, as well as EDI – electronic ordering and electronic communications with services such as ATL – Above The Treeline, Fillz, IndieBound, Monsson, Nielsen, Edelweiss, [i]merchant’s own proprietary VENSTOCK.com, and scan based trading.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Mark Warner or call (603) 298-5721, ext. 142.
- For more information, visit imrchnt.com.
Handseller offers software to help independent booksellers increase revenue through recommendations based on customer data.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Morley Horder.
- For more information, visit Handseller.com.
IBID Inc. offers point-of-sale and inventory control software specifically designed for retail bookstores.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to David Walton or call (412) 369-5990.
- For more information, visit Irtnet.com.
Independent Bookstore Day
Independent Bookstore Day is a one-day party that takes place at indie bookstores across the country on the last Saturday in April. Every bookstore throws a different party, but in addition to authors, live music, cupcakes, scavenger hunts, kids events, art tables, readings, barbecues, contests, and other fun stuff, IBD features exclusive books and literary items only available on that day. Not before. Not online. Never on Amazon. It’s Christmas in April. Join the party!
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Samantha Schoech or the Northern California Independent Booksellers Association, or call (415) 846-6131.
- For more information, visit IndieBookstoreDay.com.
Ingram Content Group
Ingram Content Group is a leading provider of comprehensive, global content distribution services to publishers, retailers, libraries, and educational institutions.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Pat Bieda or Ron Smithson or call (615) 793-5000 or (800) 937-8000.
- For more information, visit IngramContent.com.
Ingram Content Group | IngramSpark
IngramSpark is a self-publishing platform with fully integrated digital, wholesale, and distribution services.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Josh Floyd or call (615) 793-5000 or (800) 937-8000.
- For more information, visit IngramSpark.com.
Ingram Publisher Services
Ingram Publisher Services LLC offers a trusted distribution network, combined with a sales team of passionate book lovers and access to the industry’s leading e-book and print-on-demand technologies. Ingram's distribution network includes Consortium Book Sales & Distribution, Ingram Publisher Services, Legato, Perseus Distribution, and Publishers Group West.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Stacie Williams or Elise Cannon or call (615) 793-5000 or (800) 937-8000.
- For more information, visit IngramContent.com/publishers/publisher-services.
Kickstarter is a platform that helps booksellers and other literary types raise funds and connect with community.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Margot Atwell or call (203) 561-5986.
- For more information, visit Kickstarter.com.
LIBRIS was formed in 1997 by ABA to provide affordable business insurance protection for its independent bookstore members. LIBRIS strives to make sure that independent book retailers have the coverage they need at the rate they deserve. This one-of-a-kind program is available through booksellers’ local broker or direct through LIBRIS.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Whitney Balaun or call (888) 694-8585 or (303) 319-9121.
- For more information, visit Libris.org.
Libro.fm enables independent stores to sell digital audiobooks through a co-branded experience.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Mark Pearson or call (203) 730-2463.
- For more information, visit Libro.fm.
National Book Foundation, Presenter of the National Book Awards
The mission of the National Book Foundation and the National Book Awards is to celebrate the best of American Literature, to expand its audience, and to embrace the cultural value of great writing in America.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Courtney Gillette or call (212) 685-0261.
- For more information, visit NationalBook.org.
More than 350 publishers worldwide use NetGalley to interact with more than 350,000 professional readers. Booksellers, librarians, educators, reviewers, bloggers, and media can register for free and request digital galleys, be invited to access a title by a publisher, and provide valuable feedback. NetGalley members can view secure digital galleys on all major reading devices.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Tarah Theoret or call (978) 465-7755.
- For more information, visit NetGalley.com.
The ABA Shipping Program, managed by PartnerShip®, provides members with discounts on small package and freight shipments with FedEx, UPS Freight, YRC Freight, and other carriers.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Keith Korhely or call (800) 599-2909, ext. 2254.
- Visit PartnerShip.com/07ABA to enroll today.
Paz & Associates
Paz & Associates offers ideas, inspiration, and best practices for retail booksellers worldwide through seminars, workshop retreats, training guides and videos, a free seasonal e-newsletter, and individual coaching and consulting.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Mark Kaufman or call (904) 277-2664.
- For more information, visit PazBookBiz.com.
Reading Group Choices
Established in 1994, Reading Group Choices develops resources to enhance the reading group experience. Book recommendations and discussion questions are available through their annual print guide, monthly e-newsletter, and website.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Mary Morgan or call (608) 572-9496.
- For more information, visit ReadingGroupChoices.com.
Shelf Awareness offers booksellers a free co-branded e-newsletter that links to the store’s website and social media and links reviews back to the store’s e-commerce website. It also features store events and allows booksellers to write their own introductions and place ads.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Kristianne Huntsberger or call (206) 274-8144.
- For more information, visit Shelf-Awareness.com.
W.G. Ellerkamp Co.
W.G. Ellerkamp offers IndieBound retail bags in recycled paper and biodegradable plastic as well as wrapping paper, reusable totes, handmade journals, and gift card folders.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Jack Ellerkamp or call (800) 805-0012.
- For more information, visit WGEllerkamp.com.
We Need Diverse Books
We Need Diverse Books™ is a grassroots organization of children’s book lovers that advocates for essential changes in the publishing industry to produce and promote literature that reflects and honors the lives of all young people.
- To set up an appointment, send an e-mail to Ilene Wong Gregorio or call (484) 888-3277.
- For more information, visit WeNeedDiverseBooks.org.
Women’s National Book Association/National Reading Group Month
WNBA promotes the value of books and shared reading through the annual celebration of National Reading Group Month (October) and Great Group Reads, for which it provides lists of recommended titles and resource materials for marketing, displays, book club discussions, event opportunities, and more.