The full catalog of limited-edition, word-based items developed exclusively for California’s independent bookstores to sell on California Bookstore Day, May 3, 2014, is available on the California Bookstore Day website.
Bookstores submitting orders by tomorrow, November 15, will be entered into a raffle to win 25 California Bookstore Day tote bags with free shipping. The final deadline for orders is December 1.
In addition to the CBD items previously revealed, the California Bookstore Day catalog includes:
- A deluxe, leather-bound signed edition of Robin Sloan’s novella Ajax Penumbra 1969, the prequel to Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore (Farrar, Straus and Giroux/Picador)
- A full-color joke book for kids ages 7 to 11, with contributions from authors and illustrators including Lemony Snicket and Jon Scieszka (California Bookstore Day Publishing)
- A Neil Gaiman short story inspired by Sleeping Beauty, title to be announced, illustrated and written for middle and young readers (HarperCollins Children’s Books)
- A signed and numbered limited-edition print from Lemony Snicket (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers)
- A high-quality, full-color, matted print from the upcoming Curious George Goes to the Bookstore (Houghton Mifflin)
- A full-color, literary map of California featuring the settings of 24 titles (California Bookstore Day Publishing)
- Personal recipe cards from Michael Pollan’s kitchen mounted on a spiral recipe stand with a special note from the author (Penguin)
Stores are required to order a combined total of 15 items; all are nonreturnable and come with free shipping. Distribution will be through Ingram.
By signing the CBD order form, booksellers agree: to not sell the special items before May 3; to not sell the items online until after June 3 and only on their store websites; and to not reserve copies of the items for anyone. Stores are permitted to continue selling the merchandise beyond May 3 if inventory is left over.
Bookstores must also commit to making California Bookstore Day a successful event in their store and to promoting CBD as best as possible leading up to the event. As California Bookstore Day approaches, CBD will provide downloadable marketing assets and publicity materials, including bookmarks, bag stuffers, and flyers. Booksellers can also purchase CBD canvas bags and stickers to sell in-store.
California Bookstore Day is open exclusively to the bookstore members of the Northern California and Southern California independent booksellers associations. Questions about CBD should be directed to CBD Producer Samantha Schoech or NCIBA Executive Director Hut Landon.