The Science Fiction Achievements, more popularly known as the Hugo Awards, were recently announced. Among the winners were:
- Best Novel: American Gods by Neil Gaiman (Morrow)
- Best Novella: "Fast Times at Fairmont High" by Vernor Vinge (The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge, Tor)
- Best Novelette: "Hell Is the Absence of God" by Ted Chiang (Starlight 3, Tor)
- Best Related Book: The Art of Chesley Bonestell by Ron Miller and Frederick C. Durant III, with Melvin H. Schuetz (Sterling Publications)
- John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer of 2000 or 2001: Jo Walton
The John W. Campbell Award, sponsored by Dell magazines, is not a Hugo Award, but appears on the same ballot as the Hugo Awards and is administered in the same manner as the Hugo Awards.