Booksellers can check out some of the newest additions to the American Booksellers Association’s continuously updated list of titles with good pre-order potential on the ABA website by browsing the Pre-Order Calendar, which specifically features books with added value, such as signed copies and exclusive merchandise, to entice customers to order from their local indie bookstore.
Updated each week, the calendar outlines selected books’ publication dates and details for ordering from publishers (booksellers should note order deadlines). When available, titles on the calendar will also link to a page with publishers’ downloadable digital marketing assets, occasionally including special ads created by ABA that highlight the offer for customers.
In addition to pre-order ads for specific books, ABA has created “Keep It Local” pre-order shelf-talkers, which booksellers can use for their websites and newsletters or print out and use in their stores.
New items available for pre-order are indicated by the date they were added in red. In addition, titles being featured as a pre-order ad in an upcoming Indie Next List flier will have the notation *INL: Month*, or if the book has an ad in the Kids’ Indie Next List, *KNL: Month* will be noted.
Some highlights from the Pre-Order Calendar, all added in recent weeks, include:
- A Warning by Anonymous (Twelve, 9781538718469, Hardcover, $30, Pub date November 5, 2019).
- A Home for Goddesses and Dogs by Leslie Connor (Katherine Tegen Books, 9780062796783, Hardcover, $16.99, Pub date February 25, 2020) Added value: six-copy signed carton (Carton ISBN: 9780062981134); while supplies last; to receive by the on-sale date, place order by January 24, 2020.
- Yes No Maybe So by Becky Albertalli (Balzer + Bray, 9780062937049, Hardcover, $18.99, Pub date February 4, 2020) Added value: eight-copy signed carton (Carton ISBN: 9780062979186); while supplies last; to receive by the on-sale date, place order by January 3, 2020.
- Wayside School Beneath the Cloud of Doom by Louis Sachar and Tim Heitz (Illus.) (HarperCollins, 9780062965387, Hardcover, $17.99, Pub date March 3, 2020) Added value: eight-copy signed carton (Carton ISBN: 9780062989666); while supplies last; to receive by the on-sale date, place order by January 31, 2020.
- Imagine Me by Tahereh Mafi (HarperCollins, 9780062676429, Hardcover, $18.99, Pub date March 17, 2020) Added value: six-copy signed carton (Carton ISBN: 9780062981158); while supplies last; to receive by the on-sale date, place order by February 28, 2020.
- Greystone Secrets #2: The Deceivers by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Katherine Tegen Books, 9780062838407, Hardcover, $17.99, Pub date April 7, 2020).
- The One and Only Bob by Katherine Applegate (HarperCollins Publishers, 9780062991317, Hardcover, $18.99, Pub date May 5, 2020).
Every bookstore has the ability to take pre-orders, either in-store or online, if they have e-commerce capabilities. Booksellers can review the Pre-Order Calendar for more information or read more about pre-orders in Bookselling This Week.