Independent Bookstore Day (IBD) is scheduled for Saturday, August 29 (formerly April 25). The IBD website features downloadable logos with the new date as well as photos of the 2020 exclusive merchandise.
Booksellers have until July 10 to order remaining merchandise from the Ingram warehouse. Booksellers can place an order (or add to their current order) now. See the 2020 catalog here. Available merchandise includes:
- Face It: A Memoir double vinyl album (50)
- Open A Book, Open Your Mind socks (300)
- 6 Story Poems of Resistance, Poems of Hope (50)
- 2020 Bad Citizen stencil (15)
- You Have Arrived at Your Destination (150)
- Bookstore Day candle (200)
- The Art of Protest postcards (100)
- Space Bandits Issues 15 Special Edition (70)
- Give Me Back My Book baby bodysuit (75)
- Not Quite Narwhal (100)
Free items that can be ordered after stores meet the 15-item minimum include:
- Roll of 200 “I Visited an Independent Bookstore Today” stickers
- Read for Joy journal
- Wimpy Kid goodie bags for kids
This year, booksellers are invited to sell the IBD merchandise on their websites beginning 10 days ahead of the event (August 19). Packing and shipping will be done by stores from on-hand inventory.
Coming soon, IBD will share a list of socially distant in-store and virtual party ideas for bookstores to take advantage of when planning.
Virtual events scheduled on IBD that all booksellers can share include events with Amor Towles, Sean Doolittle, and the contributors to Alone Together: Love, Grief and Comfort During the Time of Covid-19 (to benefit the Book Industry Charitable Foundation). Details and links to come.
Bookstore day shirts are available on Bonfire.
Visit the Independent Bookstore Day website to learn more about the annual event; the “For the Trade” section includes a handy month-by-month planning guide, bookseller info and FAQs, and more. Watch Bookselling This Week in the coming weeks for more information about Independent Bookstore Day, or sign up for the IBD newsletter.