On Wednesday, May 8, Penguin Random House sent the following e-mail to independent bookstore accounts that work with Baker & Taylor, which announced last week that it will be exiting the wholesale distribution of books to retailers.
As other publishers announce similar bookstore outreach and initiatives, they can e-mail ABA Senior Program Officer Joy Dallanegra-Sanger, who will facilitate the distribution of such information to members.
Dear Baker & Taylor Independent Bookstore Customer,
We are writing you about our new program designed for independent booksellers who have been ordering all their Penguin Random House inventory through Baker & Taylor. We value your support of our books and authors, and would like to help make the upcoming transition as easy as possible for you and your staff.
If you do not currently have a Penguin Random House account, or if your Penguin Random House account has been inactive for more than a year, you are eligible for our Indies Express program, which includes:
- A streamlined new-account application (now available online) — no opening order necessary
- A streamlined credit-approval process (for Baker & Taylor customers in good standing)
- Special offer on your first order (includes a lower unit-minimum)
- Dedicated PRH sales director with expertise in helping B&T customers transition to ordering directly from Penguin Random House
- Dedicated PRH sales reps (community bookstore specialists) to help you navigate seasonal frontlist ordering and backlist replenishment
- Special offer from Above the Treeline to help with inventory management
Many of us are former independent booksellers, so we know firsthand how busy you are, and how important it is for you to be able to focus on running your business and serving your customers. We hope you will contact us soon, and we look forward to working with you more closely in the future.
Thank you again for everything you do to support our titles,
The Penguin Random House Sales Team
For more information, e-mail IndiesExpress@penguinrandomhouse.com.
(This offer expires on October 1, 2019.)