By Carl Lennertz
Reminder: Bring photos of your 76 display to the Regional Shows!
This is so you can have a chance to win a color printer ... AND ... have your photo considered for a portfolio to be shown to publishers over the next year. So, spiff up your display, take a snapshot (or several), and bring it to the ABA booth at each show.
We're up over 350 reporting stores for several weeks now, and another regional list is imminent ... maybe? Hopefully!
Some sleepers, in addition to the "Tuesday e-mail":
(All rankings are national, unless otherwise noted.)
This book was so close at #16 nationally, and it is #14 NEBA, #15 Midwest, and top ten PNBA; our Chocolat lady has another winner:
Coastliners, Joanne Harris, William Morrow, $24.95, 0060198125
- #25 Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides, Farrar, $27, 0374199698
- #26 No Certain Rest, Jim Lehrer, Random House, $23.95, 0375503722
- #26 The Heart of a Soldier, James B. Stewart, Simon & Schuster, $24, 0743240987
A nice package and could be a long-term steady seller; it's a 76 pick, too:
- #40 NEBA Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing, Monica Wood, Writers Digest Books, $19.99, 1582971420
This self-published 76 pick that Harper picked up is steady in several regions; it's highest in SEBA:
- #30 SEBA The Twelve Gifts of Birth, Charlene Costanzo, Harper, $19.95, 0066211042
A 76 pick strong in Northwest:
- #15 PNBA The Fruit of Stone, Mark Spragg, Riverhead, $24.95, 1573222232
Trade Paper Fiction:
- #24 My Name Is Red, Orhan Pamuk, Vintage, $14.95, 0375706852
And, with Book One, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, hitting our list, here's the sequel, too:
- #54 Tears of the Giraffe, Alexander McCall Smith, Anchor, $11.95, 1400031354
Y'all watching us smooch??:
- #11 SEBA Kissing in Manhattan, David Schickler, Delta, $12.95, 0385335679
Trade Paper Nonfiction:
Steady week in and week out, and with a C-SPAN airing recently, my man Howard is strong as ever:
- #37 A People's History of the United States, Howard Zinn, Perennial, $18, 0060937319
I'll be needing this before I blink:
- #53 The Fiske Guide to Colleges 2003, Sourcebooks, $22.95, 1570719578
A Book Sense 76 pick and on the rise last week; especially strong in New England:
- #16 NEBA Borrowed Finery: A Memoir, Paula Fox, Owl, $12, 0805071849
A 76 pick from 2000 still selling nicely:
- #22 The Little Locksmith: A Memoir, Katharine Butler Hathaway, Feminist Press, $14.95, 1558612394
- #5 NEBA Tucker Peak, Archer Mayor, Warner, $6.99, 0446612081
- #18 Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey, Maira Kalman, Putnam, $16.99, 0399239537
- #27 New York's Bravest, Mary Pope Osborne, Steve Johnson (Illus.), Lou Fancher (Illus.), Knopf, $15.95, 0375821961
- #31 Gathering Blue, Lois Lowry, Laureleaf, $6.50, 0440229499
Most clever business name of late: Metalmorphisis -- seen on side of a sheet metal company's panel truck.
Reading the ARC of the new Kurt Wallender mystery, One Step Behind -- fantastic!