Here’s the latest news and to-do’s from Independent Bookstore Day:
Promote the Special Event With Author Glennon Doyle
Booksellers are invited to celebrate Independent Bookstore Day with a special event with bestselling author Glennon Doyle in conversation with wellness author Alexandra Elle on Thursday, April 22, at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Additional events are in the works, including an illustration event for kids, panels on BIPOC and LGBTQ+ romance novels, a conversation with Kawai Strong Washburn, a collection of witty women essayists, and more.
The public can register on Eventbrite for the Glennon Doyle event beginning Monday, April 12. General admission is free with the option to donate to the Book Industry Charitable (Binc) Foundation. If an attendee is making a donation, their donation counts as their ticket.
Booksellers will have access to social media and website assets as well as “Register now” buttons for use in promoting these events alongside IBD celebrations.
Join the #BookstoreShoutOut Social Media Campaign
On April 6, Independent Bookstore Day launched the #BookstoreShoutOut social media campaign, beginning with a video from Glennon Doyle. Stores can encourage their customers to participate in the campaign now. Here’s how it works:
- Post an Indie Bookstore Day-inspired video or still: In a bookstore, holding your TBR pile, reading in bed, etc.
- @ the bookstore(s) you plan on visiting on Bookstore Day + two of your favorite readers.
- Tag your post with #BookstoreShoutOut and #IndieBookstoreDay
Every day from April 17–24, IBD will choose a random winner from the people posting with #BookstoreShoutOut and #IndieBookstoreDay on Twitter or Instagram. Winners will receive an Independent Bookstores of the United States Map from Pop Chart, a free three-month membership from Libro.fm, and a 2021 IBD tote bag.
The IBD Searchable Map Goes Live
All bookstores participating in Independent Bookstore Day (stores that either ordered IBD exclusives or signed up by the deadline) are featured on the searchable IBD map. Check to make sure your listing is correct and send any corrections to email@example.com.
Libro.fm Launches IBD Promotion
When customers spend $15 or more at an indie bookstore (in-store or online) on April 24–26 and submit their receipt to Libro.fm, they’ll receive a free audiobook as a thank you.
Landing page: https://libro.fm/ibd
Bookseller Guide: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eTkyHW39clhg--5Dib6I4F7Nu0pwAty2
Assets and Images: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1d7UbPkOvl_q-rrre4DRnRnwVG5CzR-90
Copy for bookstores to share: The countdown to #IndieBookstoreDay begins! When you spend at least $15 USD at [YOUR BOOKSTORE] 4/24–4/26, you can get a free select audiobook from @librofm. See the audiobook choices and get more details at www.libro.fm/ibd.
Audio Giveaway Title List:
- Libertie by Kaitlyn Greenidge
- Hummingbird Salamander by Jeff VanderMeer
- You’ll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey by Amber Ruffin & Lacey Lamar
- Lost in the Never Woods by Aiden Thomas
- Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley
- Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston
- Act Your Age, Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert
- Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas
- We Keep the Dead Close by Becky Cooper
- I Want to Be Where the Normal People Are by Rachel Bloom
- Remote Control by Nnedi Okorafor
- How to Resist Amazon and Why by Danny Caine
A Note About Orders & Allocations
Because of very limited print runs, orders for some titles had to be reduced. No orders were cut entirely. Check your iPage to see your final numbers. Titles in extremely limited quantities include:
- Sharks in the Time of Saviors
- Cook, Eat, Repeat
- Hummingbird Salamander
- and some free items.
Booksellers with questions about the event can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.