Registration for the 13th annual Winter Institute (Wi13) will open on September 13. The Institute will take place January 22–25, 2018, at the Sheraton Hotel and Memphis Cook Convention Center in downtown Memphis, Tennessee.
In addition to Winter Institute’s three full days of programming, booksellers can participate in a number of events on January 22, ahead of the Wi13 opening reception that evening. Full information — including details about separate registration fees for some of this programming — will be available in the coming weeks. Highlights for January 22 include:
Tours and discounts:
- Discounts on attractions: Badged booksellers can receive discounts on visits to the National Civil Rights Museum and Graceland.
- Yoknapatawpha County Tour/Square Books: A full-day guided tour that will take booksellers to Oxford, Mississippi, to tour the town and visit Rowan Oak, the home of William Faulkner, and Square Books.
- Mississippi Delta Tour/Turnrow Books: A full-day author-narrated bus tour that, along the way, will highlight significant historic Civil Rights and Delta blues sites between Memphis and Greenwood, Mississippi, and include a visit to Greenwood’s Turnrow Book Co.
In addition, Ingram Content Group will be offering booksellers the opportunity to arrive in Nashville on January 21 to visit their La Vergne, Tennessee, offices and take a tour of Lightning Source and the wholesale warehouse the next day; a bus will deliver booksellers to Memphis in time for the Winter Institute opening reception on January 22.
- Principles of Bookstore Finance Seminar: A six-hour, 101-level seminar that will cover the fundamentals of budgeting, cash flow, business financing, bookkeeping, and financial statements.
- Used Bookstore Forum: This three-hour session will look at the art of selling used and rare books, from pricing, trade policies, and inventory acquisition to events, displays, sales, and more.
- IndieCommerce Institute: This one-day interactive learning experience in a classroom-style setting will go beyond basic training to provide actionable information for new and experienced IndieCommerce users.
- Paz Workshop, “Introduction to Retail Bookselling”: A one-day crash course on the essentials of opening a new bookstore or buying an existing one.
Registration for Winter Institute and special January 22 programming will open on September 13; watch Bookselling This Week for full details. Questions about Winter Institute can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.