For many bookstores, Independent Bookstore Day (IBD) is second only to the Christmas season in terms of sales. Now, with less than two weeks left before Saturday, April 29, booksellers can use these last-minute tips to promote the event via social media and other marketing channels.
Double-down on promotion before April 29:
- Start handing out your free IBD bookmarks and mentioning the event to customers.
- Highlight IBD in your store’s April newsletter.
- Follow up on press releases sent to local media. Find a customizable press release here.
- Use social media daily. Find a primer on best practices for promoting IBD on social media here.
- Put up IBD signage and window displays. Printable versions are available here.
- Create displays with IBD items and teasers (official IBD merchandise may not be sold until April 29).
- Make sure your store is well-staffed for April 29, and your staff is informed about the day’s plans.
- Post in-store signage.
- Make sure Independent Bookstore Day information is on your website’s homepage or events page. Include the IBD logos found here in your posts.
Take note of best practices for Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook:
- Always use the hashtag #BookstoreDay and the handle @BookstoreDay in posts about IBD.
- Use photos, videos, and gifs on all of your social media channels.
- Follow other stores, publishers, and book-related social media accounts.
- Participate in two IBD Twitter chats, scheduled for April 21 at noon ET and April 27 at 3:00 p.m. ET.
- See the full Social Media Best Practices primer here.
Order your Independent Bookstore Day totes and T-shirts now:
- Order IBD tote bags, now $65 for a bundle of 10, marked down from $75. No set retail price and free shipping.
- Order IBD t-shirts, now on sale individually for $10 each. Shipping is free. Tote bag and T-shirt orders will arrive about one week before April 29.
- Orders of exclusive IBD items (not T-shirts and totes) will arrive on or before April 22.
Take advantage of Libro.fm’s free audiobook promotion for IBD:
- Download Libro.fm’s IBD audiobook materials, including fliers, web banners, featured book covers, and more.
- Direct customers to the Libro.fm homepage or your Libro.fm storefront to get free audiobooks, only available on April 29.
- To start selling audiobooks as a Libro.fm partner, e-mail Mark Pearson by April 20. Find more information about Libro.fm here.