Independent Bookstore Day (IBD), the national celebration of independent bookstores, will take place on April 25, 2020. Here are some important updates:
- Tote bags shipped from California this week. Booksellers are allowed to sell them as soon as they receive them.
- All exclusive IBD items will ship from Ingram’s Tennessee warehouse the week of April 13. Items may be displayed and publicized when received, but they cannot be sold before April 25.
- After April 10, stores can contact their Ingram sales rep to inquire about extra stock of special IBD merch.
- IBD bookmarks are included in ABA’s March Box mailing; bookmarks can be distributed at any time.
- All stores will receive free chapbooks from Elena Ferrante’s new novel, The Lying Life of Adults, as part of a preorder campaign with Europa Editions; point-of-sale signage will be available for download in April.
- Free Dog Man standees are available for bookstore day; requests must be emailed by March 12.
- The searchable map of stores participating in this year’s Independent Bookstore Day will be updated soon.
- Booksellers will also soon have access to an updated downloadable, customizable press release on the For the Trade page.
- IBD is partnering with Libro.fm to give away free audiobooks, including Wanderlust by Flula Borg and On Cats by Charles Bukowski.
- Help the IBD press team promote your store by listing your IBD plans here.
Visit the Independent Bookstore Day website to learn more about the annual event; the “For the Trade” section includes a handy month-by-month planning guide, bookseller info and FAQs, and more. Watch Bookselling This Week in the coming weeks for more information about Independent Bookstore Day, or sign up for the IBD newsletter.