Kramerbooks & Afterwords is now looking for a hard-working, resourceful, team-oriented, hands-on book buyer who will also act as an ambassador for the brand. If you have the passion, we have the position.
Kramerbooks & Afterwords opened its doors as the first bookstore/cafe in Washington DC in 1976. Over the years, through expansions and neighborhood changes, much of our business has remained constant, notably our commitment to providing our patrons with access to the best books and to the most delicious food and drink. In addition to a lively atmosphere and a full-service bar, Kramerbooks & Afterwords stages hundreds of book-related events each year, both in the store and elsewhere. From tourists to neighbors, college students to politicians, there is something for everyone at Kramerbooks & Afterwords!
Position: Lead Book Buyer
Reports to: Bookstore Manager with dotted line to COO and CFO
Location: DuPont Circle, Washington, DC
Core Competencies: Align with Kramers Values. Planning and Organization, Leadership, Decision Making, Book Buying, Problem Solving, Adaptability, Communications, Relationship Building, Revenue Generation, Results-Oriented
Key Evaluation Criteria: Competence, Judgement, Energy, Attitude, Focus, Relationships, Trust
- Oversight and management of all front list and back list book acquisition in keeping with Kramerbooks point of view and brand.
- Schedule, conduct, manage/oversee and curate all bookstore inventory processes.
- Track, analyze and report on sales and inventory turns and trends – by category and by vendor - to leadership and make strategic recommendations based upon analysis.
- Training and development of junior team members.
- Involvement, along with bookstore manager, with the receiving and merchandizing of books and sidelines.
- Development and growth of B2B accounts and sales.
- Evaluate, develop strategy and track all Co-op opportunities along with marketing lead.
- Be aware of, and take strategic advantage of, all promotional opportunities and discounts offered by vendors.
- Working with CFO/finance lead, maximize cash flow and use of vendor credit terms by properly scheduling the placement of orders.
- Regularly track, analyze and share industry trends with booksellers and leadership.
- Oversee, track and document the return of book merchandize for proper credit.
- Ensure timely and accurate sales reporting to affiliate associations (NY Times weekly, Bookscan, ABA, etc.).
- Sales reporting and analysis and overall book mapping for the retail operation.
- Coordinating and managing inventory needs for advertising & events, on-premises and off-premises.
- Delivers results in line with Kramer’s standards and goals.
- Maintain and uphold neat and orderly store records, provide reports and make presentations to Leadership as requested.
- Buyer will retain some store level responsibilities so as to be able to stay in touch with the retail environment (booksellers, patrons, merchandizing, etc.).
- Buyer plays a primary role in the development and nurturing of relationships with publishers, wholesalers, other vendors and their representatives as well as industry leaders and publicists.
- Input in miscellaneous bookstore collateral including postcards, bookmarks, newsletters and the like.
- Buyer will have access to, and will be expected to leverage the advice and expertise of Kramers advisors.
- Ability to handle the above responsibilities and document current/past proficiency in same
- Have a passion for books as well as a head for business
- Exceptional communications skills (verbal/written) with the ability to effectively interact with both internal and external guests
- Minimum 5 years of work experience in bookstore buying and management
- Intermediate level competence in IBIDie, and Microsoft Office suite
- Great professional references
- Must be able to be on feet for extended periods of time
Kramers is an equal opportunity employer and offers benefits to full-time employees including, medical and PTO. All final candidates will be asked to successfully complete a background and credit check including driving record, education, employment and criminal records.
Respond with cover letter and resume to Jamie Galler via email: email@example.com.
Gulliver’s Books in Fairbanks, Alaska, is looking for a new owner. In business since 1985 with a loyal customer base. New and used books, bulk sales, café, and gift items. For more information please contact Bryan and Christy Wiskeman at 907-474-9575 (Tuesday through Saturday) or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
All ABA bookstore members in good standing are entitled to four free two-week Classified Ad insertions in Bookselling This Week each year. BTW Classifieds are the perfect place for booksellers to place help wanted ads, advertise fixtures or stores for sale, and more.
Booksellers interested in placing a Classified Ad should contact ABA’s Liz Button via e-mail or at (800) 637-0037, ext. 7520. The deadline for Classified Ad copy is 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday for an ad in the following day’s edition of BTW.