ABA offers members a variety of promotional programs and resources.
Advance Access is a complimentary twice-monthly email sent by ABA to member bookstores containing offers from ABA Publisher Partners to receive galleys, reading copies, or finished books for review. After receiving the title from the publishers, stores can decide whether to carry it, and nominate the title for the Indie Next List. For complete details regarding the Advance Access program, as well as for member bookstores to opt-in to receive the emails, contact Pete Reynolds at email@example.com.
NetGalley and the ABA have partnered to introduce more booksellers to new titles from a variety of publishers.
On June 1, 2010, the national ABA Gift Card program (also known as the BookSense Gift Card program powered by Givex) transitioned to an in-store program. Here’s what to do if you have a gift card from a bookstore that is no longer in business:
Gift cards will not be replaced if lost or stolen. ABA reserves the right not to reimburse the gift card holder if the bookstore that issued the gift card has been closed for more than 18 months or if expiration dates or certain state regulations apply.
ABA sends all qualifying storefronts* located in the U.S. selling predominantly new books a bi-monthly box as well a quarterly children’s box.
*Qualifying storefronts include traditional brick-and mortar-shops and semi-permanent pop-up locations (those operating within the same four walls for three or more consecutive months). It does not include events- or online-only businesses.
The Bi-Monthly Box mailing contains:
• The initial allotment of the latest Indie Next List flyers
• Time-sensitive marketing materials from ABA for campaigns such as Indies First and Banned Books Week
• Point-of-purchase resources from publishers such as shelftalkers, easelbacks, bookmarks, and posters
• Vendor sell sheets and catalogs
• Galleys, Advance Reading Copies (ARCs), and finished books that publishers wish for booksellers to read and consider stocking, hand-selling, and nominating to
the Indie Next List
Because the Bi-Monthly Box Mailing materials are free to members, and vendor supplies are limited, stores have been asked to actively participate in a variety of ABA programs in order to earn the box. Participation is reviewed on a monthly basis.
Beginning with the April 2019 Mailing, in order to receive the Monthly Box mailing stores must:
• Submit regular nominations to the Indie Next List
• Report regularly to the Indie Bestseller List
• Be an ABA bookstore member in good standing
Bookstore members of the ABC Children’s Group automatically receive the Quarterly Children’s Mailing.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the Box Mailings, to opt out of mailings altogether, or to change the amount of Indie Next List fliers you receive each month.