Start Date: Oct. 1, 2018
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Position Vacancy – Part-Time Assistant Manager for Floor Operations, Bank Street Bookstore
Under direct supervision of the bookstore Manager, this Assistant Manager is responsible for administrative support and sales floor supervisory operations for a high volume, well known independent Children's bookstore in New York City. The Assistant Manager must possess strong retail skills, and understand current educational and parenting principles in order to supervise booksellers serving a diverse population of children, parents, students, teachers and college staff. This Assistant Manager also works with the bookstore Manager, the Full-Time Assistant Manager and the Events Coordinator to manage in-store and online workflow, special events, vendor relations and related reporting.
Specific Responsibilities include:
• Supervision of bookstore sales staff and cashiers, collaborating with, or in absence of, bookstore Manager and other Assistant Manager.
• Monitoring of staffing schedules and staff attendance, in collaboration with other management staff.
• Selling on the sales floor, including customer service and check-out functions. Must read children’s literature, both in store and on your own time, to prepare for handselling.
• Website and Special Order fulfillment and website-related tasks, response to email inquiries.
• Opening and closing the store, including use of alarm codes and access to store safe.
• Assist in school order fulfillment and book fair coordination, consignment.
• Assist with Accounts Payable invoice submission and aging reports, follow up on house accounts.
• Work with other staff for marketing efforts, store displays, website content.
• Participate in staff meetings, annual store inventory, offsite events.
• Other related duties, such as vacation coverage for Manager and other Assistant Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments. Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
Knowledge of retail floor merchandising, restocking and stock control procedures.
Knowledge of website and special order fulfillment procedures.
Knowledge of IBID computer inventory program.
Ability to promote existing and new bookstore programs.
Ability to perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Must have at least three years retail store or school library experience which includes a minimum of one year of supervisory experience, preferably with educational toys, children's books or school supplies. Extensive knowledge of children's literature preferred. Experience leading children in group activities preferred. Valid Driver’s License preferred. Strong technology skills. Outstanding customer service, interpersonal and communication skills both orally and in writing along with the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
This exempt part-time professional position includes holidays, evening and weekend work. Preferred schedule is Thursday- Sunday.