The 11th Anniversary of Indies First on Small Business Saturday is just over a month away! In addition to in-store and window display posters to promote the November 25 event, here are some other resources and tips to get the word out for your store:
- Log into BookWeb to see a range of special publisher offers for booksellers.
- Visit American Express' ShopSmall.com for materials to promote Small Business Saturday and your store. You can also find Indies First specific marketing materials on BookWeb.
- Libro.fm is bringing back their Shop Small Sale! Customers can shop bestselling audiobooks on sale at https://libro.fm/sale from November 22–27. Stores can promote credit bundles via your website, in-store handouts, email, and social media. Use these assets to promote.
- University Press Week this year is held from November 13–17. Hosted by the Association of University Presses, University Press Week 2023 provides an opportunity for presses and their supporters to shout to the rooftops about the value of the essential work of university presses: giving voice to the scholarship and ideas that shape conversations around the world. Check out their marketing materials and resources to share.
- Bonfire is offering a one time only free custom design to ABA member stores! This would be a great way for communities to show support online while also getting a cool shirt to proudly represent their favorite bookstore! With Bonfire's holiday shipping deadline on December 4, shirts would arrive in time for the holidays and make the best gifts paired with books. Navigate to Bonfire's offer on ABA's Business Services page.
- Now is a great time to use your social media channels to boost the importance of shopping local this season. See AMIBA's Shop Indie Local programs for partnership opportunities and assets, or reach out to ABA if you need assistance. Plaid Friday and Cider Monday are perfect bookend holidays to keep the Indies First message going the whole Thanksgiving weekend.
- Post photos of your events on social media using #IndiesFirst. We plan to “like” and repost as much as possible. We’ll be sharing the news on IndieBound’s Facebook as well as on ABA’s Instagram account.
- Do your local newspapers, bloggers, and radio stations know your plans? Look through your community’s event listings (online and in print) and consider who might be doing a holiday story, or who would have an interest in covering independent retail, bookstores, or the authors coming to your store.
- Do any local media outlets have Facebook pages that you can add a comment to, or accounts you can interact with via Threads?