Penn Book Center seeks to hire a full-time general manager to lead a small group of full and part-time booksellers. Candidates should be experienced managers with great familiarity with bookstore operations. Good staff and customer-relations skills are a must.
The following attributes are required:
• Experience organizing and overseeing staff duties in a bookstore is required
• Knowledge and experience with ordering, receiving, and returns
• Expertise with budget preparation, retail reporting
• Display management, merchandising and book placement skill
• Comfortable with high levels of delegation and follow-up
• Knowledge of sideline buying and placement
• Comfortable using sells numbers to drive decision-making
Salary is based on qualifications and experience. Insurance will be provided upon the completion of job training. Penn Book Center is an equal opportunity employer
About Penn Book Center: Penn Book Center is an independent bookstore on the University of Pennsylvania campus that has been serving readers, writers, students, and faculty for over 57 years. The store houses a wide selection of the latest trade books with additional strengths in poetry, cultural criticism, philosophy, and young adult and children’s literature. PBC hosts regular in-store readings and does offsite sales at inveterate and new institutions in the greater Philadelphia area.
Candidates should email their resumes to Matthew Duques, one of the new owners, email@example.com
The American Booksellers Association, a national not-for-profit trade organization, works with booksellers and industry partners to ensure the success and profitability of independently owned book retailers, and to assist in expanding the community of the book.
Independent bookstores act as community anchors; they serve a unique role in promoting the open exchange of ideas, enriching the cultural life of communities, and creating economically vibrant neighborhoods.