The American Booksellers Association has partnered with Pinnacle HR, a human resources services provider, which is available to work with the association as well as bookstore members.
ABA bookstore members will receive a discounted hourly rate of $90 per hour for most HR services. There is no monthly rate and no startup fee. Some services are available on a fixed fee basis; the Pinnacle HR consultant will provide time estimates and quotes upon request.
Pinnacle HR offers members a scalable and flexible approach to the type of HR support needed. ABA bookstore members will have access to a certified human resources professional who will provide assistance with development or updates to employee handbooks, wage benchmarking data, HR forms, training programs, and advice and opinion on various HR-related problems.
To get started with Pinnacle HR, contact Senior HR Consultant John Kelly at (845) 464-6123.
Here are some of the services Pinnacle HR offers:
- Employee Handbooks and Policy Creation: Pinnacle HR works with our members to develop employee handbooks, which contain the necessary policies, such as anti-harassment and non-discrimination, FMLA, ADA, FLSA and many more. Additionally, Pinnacle HR works with members to design and develop custom HR policies and procedures responsive to their employee relations and business needs.
- COVID/Pandemic Support: As a part of our employee handbooks, we have created a pandemic supplement. In addition, we provide guidance on developing COVID-related workplace procedures, mandated posters, outlining CDC protocols, state guidelines, and answering questions regarding remote workers and travel bans.
- HR Hotline: We provide the consultant cell phone hotline for members’ employees to report complaints and concerns such as harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and whistleblowing.
- Job Descriptions and FLSA Audits: We provide standard and customized job descriptions for our members that include key responsibilities and qualifications. Job descriptions are the supporting documents to support Department of Labor classifications. We will audit and we advise members on any misclassifications found and develop strategies to mitigate those risks. This audit includes the even more risky misclassification of independent contractors.
- Leave Management: Pinnacle HR works with our members to provide FMLA/DBL/PFL leave management services, including administrating required paperwork, coordination with mandated and member LOA policies, employee relations issues, and tracking leaves until the employee is back to work. ADA assistance also available.
- Employee Surveys: Pinnacle HR works with our members to design, administer, and report employee surveys encompassing a wide range of topics, some of which may include engagement, culture, and, recently, COVID.
- Unemployment Claims Services: In coordination with member preferences, we will consult with members, respond to claims, and attend hearings with regards to unemployment claims administration and defense.
- Compensation Plan Design/Revisions: Pinnacle HR works with members to design new or revise existing plans that may include salary ranges, benchmark comparisons, merit increase grids, and more.
- Diversity/Inclusion: Develop programs, provide training, conflict resolution, and implement strategies for true success with improving diversity initiatives.
- Internal Investigation: Provide fair and impartial interviews, process claims and advice on determinations, and next steps.
- Training: Pinnacle HR provides customized and specialized training programs for members. These trainings are delivered live via webinar or online using our Learning Management System (LMS). The online LMS is also available for purchase at an annual cost for either a bundle of 25 courses or access to the entire LMS. The common training programs include:
- Performance Management
- Compliant and Effective Hiring Techniques
- Compliant and Effective Terminations
- Performance Documentation, Coaching and Counseling
- Preventing and/or Dealing with Harassment and Discrimination
- Preventing and/or Dealing with Sexual Harassment
- Various forms of compliance training, such as Form I-9, FMLA, and ADA
- Team Building
- Leadership Development
- Conflict Management
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Business Etiquette Communication
- Customer Service Training
- Preventing Violence in the Workplace