Independent Bookstore Day (IBD) is seeking submissions for a new logo that will launch with the 2021 event. The winner will receive $500. Here are some points to consider when designing a logo:
- A logo is an essential part of a brand. Make sure it communicates what IBD is all about.
- Get inspired. Look at other logos that have been successful and stood the test of time. Also, look at effective logos with similar themes.
- Choose a design style, such as classic, retro/vintage, modern, minimalist, fun/quirky, or handcrafted, or mix and match. But be sure it represents IBD’s brand.
- Typography is an important part of the design and will help define the logo’s style. Avoid using more than two fonts.
- Keep it simple. Don’t overcomplicate it, but give it impact and make it memorable.
- Choose a clever and strong color theme, but be aware of the meanings associated with certain colors.
- The logo must also look good in black and white, grayscale, and two colors.
- Make sure it works at any size and anywhere, and both horizontally and vertically.
Proposed designs should also include the text “Independent Bookstore Day.”
Designs should be sent as JPEGs to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Logo Submission.”
The winning design will become the property of the American Booksellers Association. Design submissions are due by Monday, October 26, 2020.