Booksellers should register now for the American Booksellers Association’s exclusive programming for members who will be attending BookExpo 2018 in New York City from May 30 to June 1. Signup deadlines are approaching for the following events:
- Meet the Editor: The deadline to sign up has been extended to Monday, May 14. From 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, May 30, booksellers will visit various publishing houses around the city. The structure of the editor meetings will vary by publisher and are meant to give a behind-the-scenes look at the philosophy and process of book editing.
- The ABC/CBC Speed Dating Lunch With Children’s Authors: Sign up by May 16. The lunch will be held from 12:15 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. on Friday, June 1, at the Javits Convention Center. Authors slated to appear include Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, Nic Stone, Tami Charles, Sean Qualls, Deb Caletti, and more. The registration fee for the lunch is $35; however, the Children’s Book Council has generously offered to offset the cost by donating $10 per ticket (those who have already registered will be reimbursed by check from the CBC).
- The Celebration of Bookselling and Author Awards Lunch: Sign Up by May 16. The lunch, featuring the presentation of the 2018 Indies Choice/E.B. White Read-Aloud Awards, is free for booksellers and will be held from noon to 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 30, in the Main Stage Hall of the Javits Convention Center.
- Publicists Speed Dating is at capacity; booksellers who want to be added to the waitlist should contact ABA Program and Development Coordinator Jessica Stauffer and indicate which day they would like to attend and whether they are interested in meeting with kids’ publishers or adult. The speed dating sessions, which offer booksellers a chance to promote their stores, are taking place from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 30, and from 9:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. on Friday, June 1, at the convention center. Registered booksellers should check out ABA’s webinar on “Creating a Press Kit,” which is available along with other educational materials on ABA’s Learning on Demand page.
Booksellers are also encouraged to sign up to reserve a time to meet with IndieCommerce staff in the ABA Member Lounge, Booth 721 on the trade show floor. Walk-ins are also welcome during lounge hours.
ABA Member Lounge hours are:
- Wednesday, May 30, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 31, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (closed from 2:15 to 4:15 p.m. for the ABA Annual Membership Meeting and Town Hall)
- Friday, June 1, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tickets are also on sale for the Silent Art Auction to benefit American Booksellers for Free Expression (ABFE) and Every Child a Reader. All BookExpo attendees are invited to attend the auction; tickets are $110 each. However, for ABC Children’s Group at ABA members, tickets are complimentary (contact ABC Group Manager Gen de Botton for the promo code), and tickets for regular ABA member booksellers are $11 (log in to BookWeb to see the adjusted price).
Booksellers can register for free badges to BookExpo by providing their ABA member ID number during the registration process. More information about ABA’s programming at BookExpo can be found on BookWeb.org.