Banned Books Week 2020 is officially here! The annual event celebrating the freedom to read and featuring the theme “Censorship Is a Dead End” began on Sunday, September 27. There is still time to celebrate with the entire book community before the week comes to an end on October 3.
Share How You Are Celebrating Banned Books Week
Booksellers are encouraged to share their Banned Books Week plans with ABA to be featured in a recap article following this year’s event. Whether you’re hosting a virtual event or celebrating in-person, ABA wants to hear from you! Share photos of your Banned Books Week displays by tagging ABA and using #BannedBooksWeek on social media or contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
The full list of official hashtags are: #BannedBooksWeek, #bannedbooks, #FirstAmendment, #freespeech, #censorship, #intellectualfreedom, and #bannedbookslist.
Register Your Event
Visit the Banned Books Week Coalition’s events page for continuously updated event information. If you are hosting your own Banned Books Week event, be sure to register it online to be included on the Banned Books Week event calendar.
Promote Banned Books Week With These Tools
- Counter card
- Banned Books Week Coalition logo
- Social media and web banners
- Poster and flier templates
- American Library Association (ALA) assets
(Note: The images and downloadables from the Banned Books Week Coalition are free to use for non-monetized, promotional purposes in support of Banned Books Week. Images cannot be used for fundraising or salable merchandise.)
Utilize These Resources
- ALA's Top 10 Most Challenged Books
- ALA’s “Get Involved” resources: The resources include a Stand for the Banned read-out, a Dear Banned Author letter-writing campaign, actions for each day of Banned Books Week, and more.
- Celebrate Banned Books Week Handbook: The handbook includes programming ideas, best practices for events, and tips for handling censorship.
- Banned Books Week Coalition resources: Check out the Banned Books Week Coalition’s resources which cover print and digital resources, event resources, reporting censorship, and more.
Order Banned Books with Ingram’s Discount
Ingram is offering a three percent discount on banned, challenged, and relocated titles. The promotion is running until October 4. Place your orders from a list of 2020 banned and challenged titles on ipage®. No promotional code is needed.