Shipments of exclusive, literary-themed merchandise began leaving Ingram’s Tennessee warehouse this week and will arrive at participating stores in time for Independent Bookstore Day (IBD), Saturday, April 27. Booksellers are welcome to display all exclusive items as soon as they arrive, but items are not to be sold before April 27, held, or preordered.
Readers awaiting the celebration can use the interactive Independent Bookstore Day map to see the 575-plus bookstores that will be selling the event’s special literary-themed merchandise.
As Independent Bookstore Day approaches, here are a few reminders:
- Join a Twitter party with IBD author ambassador Tayari Jones, who will be available Thursday, April 25, at 1:00 p.m. EDT to talk with booksellers about the upcoming event; look for the #BookstoreDay hashtag
- Enter the IBD window contest for a chance to win $300 by sending three good photos of your IBD window or in-store display to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30 (use the subject line “Window Contest”)
- Ingram wants to know how IBD impacts your community; visit www.ingramcontent.com/IBD to share your story
- Promote IBD on social media with special assets from Libro.fm and materials on the IBD website
- Follow IBD on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest, but also follow your fellow indie bookstores
- For all social media posts, use the hashtag #BookstoreDay
- Make sure you have IBD information on both your store’s homepage and events page
- Check out the item images and logos now available for download
In addition, Hummingbird Digital Media, HarperCollins, and Hachette Book Group have joined forces to help bookstores celebrate Independent Bookstore Day by offering eight bestselling e-book titles that stores can sell for $2.99 or less as well as copy-and-paste images for websites and social media.
The eight titles are:
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (regularly $11.99, special $2.99)
- Your Duck Is My Duck by Deborah Eisenberg (regularly $12.99, special $2.99)
- Bearskin by James A. McLaughlin (regularly $12.99, special $2.99)
- Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (regularly $7.99, special $1.99)
- The Prophet by Michael Koryta (regularly $7.99, special $2.99)
- Mischling by Affinity Konar (regularly $11.99, special $2.99)
- The Party by Elizabeth Day (regularly $9.99, special $2.99)
- Testimony by Anita Shreve (regularly $7.99, special $2.99)
Visit the Independent Bookstore Day website to learn more about the fifth annual event; the “For the Trade” section includes a month-by-month planning guide, bookseller information and FAQs, and more.