During the fall regional trade shows, which kick off on September 13, the American Booksellers Association will present the educational session “Making the Most of ABA Membership,” during which new members, booksellers at newly opened stores, and anyone else interested can join staff from ABA’s membership department to talk about the programs and resources the association provides to strengthen independent booksellers’ businesses.
The educational opportunity, which will take place at each show, will look at key services offered by ABA, including:
- Education and networking, from Winter and Children’s Institute to online education resources and bookseller forums
- Resources to improve the bottom line, including affinity partnerships, bookstore insurance, and the Book Buyer’s Handbook
- Indie campaigns, including the Indie Next List, Independent Bookstore Day, Indies First, Indies Introduce, the Well-Read Black Girl book club, and more
- The IndieCommerce and IndieLite e-commerce solutions
- Advocacy initiatives, including the Prime Numbers report
- The ABACUS benchmarking report
The session will take place during the shows as follows:
Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance (SIBA)
September 13–15, Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Making the Most of ABA Membership”: Friday, September 13, at 1:45 p.m. (roundtables)
Northern California Independent Booksellers Association (NCIBA)
September 20–21, Burlingame, California
“Making the Most of ABA Membership”: Friday, September 20, at 8:30 a.m.
Southern California Independent Booksellers Association (SCIBA)
September 27–28, San Gabriel, California
“Making the Most of ABA Membership”: Friday, September 27, at 10:30 a.m.
New England Independent Booksellers Association (NEIBA)
October 2–4, Providence, Rhode Island
“Making the Most of ABA Membership”: Date and time to come
Heartland Fall Forum (Midwest Independent Booksellers Association/MIBA and Great Lakes Independent Booksellers Association/GLIBA)
October 2–4, Cleveland, Ohio
“Making the Most of ABA Membership”: Wednesday, October 2, at 9:00 a.m.
Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association (PNBA)
October 6–8, Portland, Oregon
“Making the Most of ABA Membership”: Brief overview at start of first-timers session on Sunday, October 6, at 8:00 a.m.
Mountains and Plains Independent Booksellers Association (MPIBA)
October 10–12, Denver, Colorado
“Making the Most of ABA Membership”: Wednesday, October 9, at 3:00 p.m.
New Atlantic Independent Booksellers Association (NAIBA)
October 15–17, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Making the Most of ABA Membership”: Thursday, October 17, at 9:30 a.m. (roundtables)