Through a special promotion from Libro.fm, visitors to bookstores participating in Independent Bookstore Day celebrations on April 29 will have the opportunity to download a selection of complimentary digital audiobooks, including April’s #1 Indie Next List pick, The Women in the Castle (Harper Audio) by Jessica Shattuck, and David Foster Wallace’s A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again (Hachette Audio).
The goal of the free audiobook offer is to drive traffic to bookstores and give more people a chance to try audiobooks through their local bookstore. In March, Libro.fm launched a monthly audiobook subscription program, which is available to customers through more than 270 bookstore locations nationwide.
All of the audiobooks and samplers below will be available for free through Libro.fm on Independent Bookstore Day:
- The Women in the Castle, by Jessica Shattuck (Harper Audio)
- A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, by David Foster Wallace (Hachette Audio)
- Brain Rules, by John Medina (Pear Press)
- Shadow House #1:The Gathering, by Michael Northrop (Scholastic)
- Tombquest #1: Book of the Dead, by Michael Northrop (Scholastic)
Hachette Audio Story Sampler
- “Dentists Without Borders,” written and read by David Sedaris, from Let’s Explore Diabetes With Owls
Plus shorter listens for the whole family:
- “Toshi,” as told by Pete Seeger from Pete Seeger: The Storm King
- “The Ring of the King,” from Nelson Mandela’s Favorite African Folktales, read by Alan Rickman
Penguin Random House Audio Sampler
- All Our Wrong Todays, by Elan Mastai (On sale 2/7/17) – Chapter 1
- Stranger in the Woods, by Michael Finkel (On sale 3/7/17) – Chapter 1
- The Rules Do Not Apply, by Ariel Levy (On sale 3/14/17) – Chapter 3
- Killers of the Flower Moon, by David Grann (On sale 4/18/17) – Chapter 1
- Lab Girl, by Hope Jahren (TP on sale 2/28/17) – Chapter 1
- Modern Lovers, by Emma Straub (TP on sale 5/30/17) – Chapter 1
- The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon – Chapter 1
Any independent bookstore can participate in the Independent Bookstore Day promotion, even if they have yet to partner with Libro.fm. To begin offering audiobooks to their customers, booksellers should contact Libro.fm’s Mark Pearson.
All the marketing materials (covers, flyers, and video samples) to promote the IBD audiobook giveaway are available on Google Drive.