April brings a rich outpouring of goodies from Book Sense Publisher Partners, guaranteed to nourish sales and wash away any doubts as to where the next wonderful handsell titles are coming from!
Before I share some of what's in store provided by publishers, here's some news on other important materials you'll find in this month's Box:
- Your initial supply of 200 Book Sense Picks fliers for May. (Fliers for future Picks lists will be included in the new Red Box mailing instead of being shipped directly from the printer. For more about the Red Box, click here.) Please note two things:
If you normally received more than 200 fliers, the additional quantity will be sent to you under separate cover.
If you would like to change the quantity of fliers you receive monthly, please contact Linda Ford at email@example.com, or by phone at (914) 591-2665, ext. 1276.
- For those stores participating in the Hardcover History program, bookmarks and a mini-poster for the upcoming program Quest for King Arthur, airing June 20, featuring the tie-in title from Wiley, THE KNIGHT, by Alan Baker.
- The event kit for "Day of Valor," a co-promotion among Book Sense, The History Channel, and Bulfinch Press to commemorate the 60th anniversary of D-Day, June 6, 2004. The labeled, large gray envelope contains a VOICES OF VALOR CD (Bulfinch); event counter easel; bookmarks; American flag; veteran resource guide; suggested event themes; and sample press release for your local media, accompanied by a poster for display.
- The latest update to the Book Sense Store Directory.
And from our generous Publisher Partners:
ARCs, Galleys, and Finished Books
- From William Morrow, three new volumes in a well-respected and established series for mystery and thriller buffs:
BY A SPIDER'S THREAD by Laura Lippmann
CALIFORNIA GIRL, the latest from T. Jefferson Parker
DOUBLE SHOT by Diane Mott Davidson
- Crown offers two titles:
BLOOD DONE SIGN MY NAME by Timothy B. Tyson
SARAH: Book One of the Canaan Trilogy by Marek Halter
- From Other Press comes MERITOCRACY: A Love Story by Jeffrey Lewis
- Tor/Forge brings you into the RIFT ZONE by Raelynn Hillhouse (and look for a printout from Ms. Hillhouse's Web site and other materials pertaining to this title elsewhere in the Box)
- From Miramax/Hyperion Books for Children, two tales certain to entertain:
THE PROPHECY OF THE STONES by Flavia Bujor (published last year in her native Europe when she was just 14!)
THE SUPERNATURALIST, the latest from Eoin Colfer
- Straight-to-the-heart (as well as to-the-wallet!) reading for anyone who has ever renovated a home: GUTTED: Down to the Studs in My House, My Marriage, My Entire Life by Lawrence LaRose, to be published by Bloomsbury
- Penguin Press offers IN THE HOPE OF RISING AGAIN: A Novel by Helen Scully
Bookmark Packs, Samplers, Contest Information, Catalogs, Easelbacks, Posters, and More from:
Rodale, Penguin Young Reader's Group, Scholastic, Harcourt Children's Publishing (a wonderful Rocko and Spanky window sign!), Picador, HarperCollins, Random House Large Print, Dorchester, Ocean Press, Tor, Kingfisher, and Sleeping Bear Press.
Sell Sheets, Special Offers, Reader's Guides, Shelftalkers, Postcards, and More from:
Yorkville, Penguin Young Reader's Group, McGraw-Hill, Disinformation Company, Ave Maria Press, Alyson, Picador, Holt, Tricycle Press, Dearborn, HarperCollins, Other Press, Toby Press, Linden Publishing, Black Rose Books, Akashic, Boaz, Penguin, Harvard Common Press, and Harcourt Children's Publishing.
Wow! As the occasion arises when you're visiting with your sales rep in the store or on the phone, please take time to pass on thanks to our Publisher Partners for the steady monthly stream of materials, all designed to help you sell more books. Thanks!
Thank you as well to all of those stores who have stepped up their participation in Book Sense by reporting more regularly to the weekly Bestseller List, sending in more nominations for the various Picks Lists, maintaining in-store displays of Book Sense Pick titles, and signing up for the Gift Card program.
And for those of you still holding back -- What are you waiting for? We need to hear from you! If you have questions about the program, here's who to contact:
Bestseller List Reporting: Meg Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org, (800) 637-0037, ext. 1239
Nominating for the Picks Lists: Dan Cullen, email@example.com, ext. 1250
Gift Cards: Jill Perlstein, firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 1283
Anything else: Mark Nichols, email@example.com, ext. 1240
Until next month,
Director, Book Sense Marketing