Booksellers Celebrate Indie Exclusive Cover Reveal for “Felix Ever After”
On Tuesday, October 15, indie booksellers unveiled the book jacket for Kacen Callender’s Felix Ever After as part of a widespread cover reveal coordinated by HarperCollins in partnership with the American Booksellers Association.
With the exclusive cover reveal, booksellers also encouraged customers to pre-order the title at indie bookstores. Felix Ever After, about a transgender boy grappling with identity and self-discovery while falling in love for the first time, will be published by Balzer + Bray in May 2020. The cover art was created by Alex Cabal and the design is by Chris Kwon.
Callender, who uses the pronouns they/them, is also the author of the young adult novel This Is Kind of an Epic Love Story and the middle grade novel Hurricane Child, winner of the Stonewall Book Award and Lambda Literary Award.
Callender appeared at Shakespeare & Co. in Philadelphia on Tuesday morning to take photos with the store staff and record a video of the cover reveal. In addition, Callender provided booksellers with an exclusive letter about the book and the importance of indies in their life.
In the letter, Callender wrote about their experience of volunteering at their neighborhood bookstore, noting, “It’s with real pride that I get to say that I’m a part of the indie bookseller community, and the reason I’m so excited you’re all helping to share this piece of Felix Ever After with the world.”
At 1:00 p.m. ET sharp, booksellers began posting the cover across social media, including:
- Gathering Volumes: We’re so excited to be revealing @kacencallender’s cover for #FelixEverAfter, available 5/12/20. Preorder now! indiebound.org/book/9780062820259
- Blue Willow Bookshop: COVER REVEAL! The amazing cover for award-winning author @kacencallender’s #FelixEverAfter is here. This story about friendship, first loves, and self-discovery lands on 5/12/20. Pre-order now: https://bluewillowbookshop.com/book/9780062820259… Art by Alex Cabal, Design by Chris Kwon
- Old Firehouse Books: We’re honored to join so many other indies in revealing the cover for @kacencallender’s #FelixEverAfter! Art by Alex Cabal! It's out 5/12/20, but you should definitely preorder now! Click the link and you'll get 15% off! https://oldfirehousebooks.com/book/9780062820259
- Tombolo Books: drum roll please... @KacenCallender’s Felix Ever After cover is beautifully designed by Chris Kwon with Art by Alex Cabal and is available for preorder on http://tombolobooks.com! We can’t wait to read #felixeverafter
- Books & Books: We’re so excited to be one of the indie bookstores to share the gorgeous cover reveal of #FelixEverAfter by @kacencallender with you! Pre-order a copy of the book here: http://bit.ly/2nMCaxC
- Trident Booksellers & Cafe: A book about self discovery, friendship, and first loves, we can’t wait for FELIX EVER AFTER, and are so excited for the cover reveal! Preorder yours now! Art by Alex Cabal, Design by Chris Kwon #FelixEverAfter https://tridentbookscafe.com/book/9780062820259
This is the third indie-exclusive cover reveal with HarperCollins, following the reveal of Adam Silvera’s Infinity Son and Eoin Colfer’s Highfire in August.
Every bookstore has the ability to take pre-orders, either in-store or online, if they have e-commerce capabilities. Booksellers can review the Pre-Order Calendar for more information or read more about pre-orders in Bookselling This Week.