As always, the American Booksellers Association’s Member Lounge at BookExpo 2018 will be the exclusive place for booksellers to relax, have a snack, and meet with their colleagues from across the country.
This year’s lounge, located in Booth 721 on the Javits Convention Center’s trade show floor, will offer a galley room (with a bonus section featuring books written by indie booksellers), information on ABA programs and services from affiliated business partners, and one-on-one meetings with IndieCommerce staff.
Booksellers visiting the lounge can meet with:
- Michael Becher of Industry Insights, which assists ABA in creating the annual ABACUS financial survey for independent bookstores
- Judi Yacovazzi and Whitney Balaun of LIBRIS, which offers tailored, affordable insurance coverage for bookstores
- Kristianne Huntsberger and Neil Strandberg of Shelf Awareness, who will be sharing information about the Indie Next List e-newsletter program
- WG Ellerkamp Paper & Packing Specialists, the supplier of IndieBound recycled bags, reusable totes, biodegradable plastic bags, and specialized gift wrap
- Author James Mustich, who will be on hand from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Friday, June 1, to talk about his upcoming book 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die: A Life-Changing List (Workman, October 2)
- Bookseller members of the ABA Diversity Task Force
- Pam French of the Book Industry Charitable Foundation (Binc), which provides financial assistance to booksellers in need
- Jeff Brodsly and Sarah McKee of credit card processor Chosen Payments, a new ABA affinity partner that is offering a $100 signing bonus as a show special
- Mark Pearson of Libro.fm, which enables independent stores to sell digital audiobooks through a co-branded experience
- Carey Cranston and former bookseller Roberta Rubin of the American Writers Museum in Chicago
- Directors from the various regional independent bookseller associations
Also on hand will be staff from a number of ABA departments, including Education Manager Lisa Winn; ABC Children’s Group Manager Gen de Botton; Member Relationship Managers Liz Roberts and Daniel O’Brien; Dave Grogan and Maria Peroni from Advocacy and the American Booksellers for Free Expression; and IndieCommerce staff, who will be holding one-on-one sessions and discussing the IndieCommerce and IndieLite platforms.
In addition, booksellers can meet ABA’s new membership and office assistant, Kate Brennan, who will be staffing the lounge’s reception desk, and ABA’s new social media team, Mary Cate Stevenson and Noah Nofz of Two Cats Communications, who will be conducting interviews and taking photos in the lounge as part of ABA’s upcoming #BookstoresAcrossAmerica social media campaign.
ABA Member Lounge hours are:
- Wednesday, May 30, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 31, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (closed from 2:15 to 4:15 p.m. for the ABA Annual Membership Meeting and Town Hall)
- Friday, June 1, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Booksellers can register for free badges to BookExpo by providing their ABA member ID number during the registration process. More information about ABA’s programming at BookExpo can be found on BookWeb.org.