Fundamentals of Independent Bookselling -- Strategies for Understanding and Growing a Profitable Business
Wednesday, May 1 from 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Thursday, May 2 from 9:00 a.m. - Noon and 2:15 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.; and Friday, May 3 from 9:00 a.m. - Noon.
Come and immerse yourself in the world book retailing! Especially designed for anyone who is considering opening a bookstore or buying an existing bookstore; booksellers who still feel new to the business or those new to management roles; booksellers who are aspiring to leadership positions; and industry professionals who want a better understanding of book retailing.
In an era where there is more retail space devoted to selling books than ever before, starting, sustaining, and growing a profitable bookstore business requires that each person in a management role fully understand the fundamentals of book retailing. Infuse your own knowledge and expertise, and you've got the recipe to build a successful business. Join former bookseller and full-time bookstore consultant Donna Paz, marketing pro Mark Kaufman, several owners of profitable independent bookstores, and professionals from the industry for information, insights, and networking tips that will help you succeed in today's retail climate. You'll learn about improving profitability, marketing your competitive advantages, assessing the right merchandise mix, effective store layout and design, and strategies for getting it all done.
You will have the opportunity on Thursday morning, May 2, to attend one workshop of your interest and attend our "ABA Bright Prospects Business Luncheon," or take a tour of local bookstores (including the bookstore for the inspiration of the movie You've Got Mail!). If you decide to attend the workshops, please pick the workshop of your choice when registering for "Fundamentals of Bookselling," as space is limited. These workshops include: ABA Bookstore Finances, ABA Marketing Strategy, and ABA Inventory Management.
Registration fee also includes:
- Free registration to BookExpo America, the premiere bookselling and publishing exhibition in the nation, boasting hundreds of publishers displaying new titles.
- Access to the ABA Annual Meeting where you'll have the chance to find out what's new in the bookselling industry.
- Use of the ABA Book Sense Lounge where you can chat with seasoned booksellers in a comfortable, relaxed environment.
- The opportunity to meet with experienced booksellers at the Celebration of Bookselling reception, where the Book Sense Book of the Year Awards will be announced.
- Networking opportunities galore!
Advanced registration is necessary, as only 60 slots are open for the workshop. Interested parties should contact Kristen Gilligan at (914) 591-2665 or (800) 637-0037, ext. 1286 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.