Due to the coronavirus outbreak, Find Waldo Local, Candlewick’s longtime program supporting independent bookstores and promoting the shop local movement, is going digital for 2020. Candlewick and the American Booksellers Association have worked together to create a turnkey digital Waldo scavenger hunt for independent bookstores to host this summer.
This year’s digital campaign is running the entire summer, from July 1 to August 31.
Materials for Find Waldo Local Digital were distributed in the June box mailing. Additional resources are available on BookWeb.org and in the Where’s Waldo? At Home web portal. No registration is required, there are no order minimums, and all ABA member stores are invited to join in.
Here are some of the ways independent booksellers are currently participating:
- Second Star to the Right Books in Denver, Colorado, posted to Instagram: “Waldo is hiding in plain sight on @southpearlst and we need YOUR help to find him! This July and August, stop by Second Star for your Scavenger Hunt passport (or print your own at home) and search for him in 16 participating business windows along the block. Win prizes when you blackout your board! P.S. Don't forget your masks!”
- Horton’s Books & Gifts in Carrollton, Georgia, posted to Twitter: “It’s that time of year...Waldo’s back! We look forward to seeing him every year, don’t you? This year he has found a great spot to hang out.”
- Bank Square Books in Mystic, Connecticut, and Savoy Bookshop & Caf
- Beanbag Books in Delaware, Ohio, posted to Instagram: “Waldo has gone virtual this year‼️ We have several downtown businesses with Waldo or a picture of Waldo in their window. If you spot him, let us know and you could win a free book! Check the comments for an example of what we are looking for.”
- CoffeeTree Books & Fuzzy Duck in Morehead, Kentucky, posted to Instagram: “Take a hike! Go explore! Check out our travel section — you might find an adventure, or something more!”
- Kids Ink Bookstore in Indianapolis, Indiana, posted to Twitter: “Virtual hunt starts today! Take a photo of any Where's Waldo book, or pick up a printed Waldo from Kids Ink. Post your photo on social media through August 12th. Tag Kids Ink! You'll be entered in a raffle for prizes.”
- Mitzi’s Books in Rapid City, South Dakota, posted to Instagram: “Waldo is hanging out at Mitzi's! Next time you're in, see if you can spot our 6-inch Waldo cut-out. He could be anywhere!”
- Old Firehouse Books in Fort Collins, Colorado, posted to Instagram: “So close to the end of our first month of virtual Waldo! We hope you all have been enjoying your virtual Waldo seeking. Fingers crossed next summer we’ll all be back to scouring Old Town businesses for the elusive man in stripes! Your task: identify what section Waldo is hiding in and where he is in the picture. Answers are submitted monthly so keep track, and please DON’T POST ANSWERS IN THE COMMENTS. Happy Waldo-seeking!”
- Whitelam Books in Reading, Massachusetts, posted to Instagram: “Where’s Waldo has returned, but our search this year will be at a distance. From July 22 - August 22, if you see Waldo in business windows downtown, or hidden in our posts, snap a picture and post it to social media.”
- Story & Song Bookstore Bistro in Fernandina Beach, Florida, posted to Instagram: “Looking for a free family-friendly activity that also supports your local neighborhood bookstore? Come on in to Story & Song and pick up an image of Waldo that you can color and cut out. Then take a photo of Waldo, doing whatever he's doing: cleaning house, hiding in a bookstore, walking a dog. Share your photo on social media, tagging @storyandsongbb, #FindWaldoLocal, and #WheresWaldo.”
- River Bend Bookshop in Glastonbury, Connecticut, posted to Instagram: “Look who is back in Glastonbury! This guy loves crowds, but this summer Waldo is honoring social distancing guidance and will be keeping a low profile. The good news is, he would love to quarantine with you! Stop by the shop to pick up a color-your-own Waldo worksheet. (Or download and print at home, link in bio). Hide him around your house, backyard or safe summer getaway spot, and tag us for a chance to win Waldo books each week.”