Because of the COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting store closures, many bookstore customers have moved online. This has resulted in online sales at IndieCommerce stores increasing by over 1,000 percent. Stores have shifted their attention to their websites and IndieCommerce is processing more than 10 times its normal number of customer support inquiries from bookstores.
To manage this massive increase in customer support tickets from stores, the IndieCommerce team has added additional staff and everyone is working longer hours. The IndieCommerce team is available for booksellers with IndieCommerce or IndieLite websites that need customer support assistance, though it may take longer than usual. Please be aware of the following when contacting IndieCommerce:
- Before contacting support: Review the help documents first. Many of the questions IndieCommerce is now receiving are well-documented with step-by-step instructions in the Help Center.
- Response time: IndieCommerce’s normal response time for a non-urgent customer support ticket is currently within 48 hours. If you have an urgent matter, such as something that is stopping you from conducting business online (website down, shopping cart not working, can’t process orders, etc.), IndieCommerce will prioritize that ticket ahead of others. Do not resubmit a ticket that you have already submitted. All tickets are time-stamped and recorded. Submitting a duplicate ticket just slows down the team’s ability to assist everyone.
- Emailing IndieCommerce support: This is the best way to reach the team and the fastest way to get your questions answered. The correct email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, phone number, store’s name, and a brief explanation of the issue you are having. Put “URGENT” in the subject line if the problem is stopping you from conducting business online, otherwise a customer support representative will reply to you within 48 hours.
- Phone calls: The IndieCommerce team prefers emails sent to email@example.com. Call volume is extremely high right now. Callers are likely to get the IndieCommerce voicemail. Leave your name, a phone number, store name, and a brief description of the issue you are calling about. All incoming voicemails are converted to emails and forwarded to customer support staff within seconds. There is no need to keep calling ABA extensions and leaving the same message on multiple voicemails. Please do not call individual staff members. The customer support phone numbers to call are: (914) 406-7500 (option 2) or 800-637-0037 (option 2).
- New contract submissions on pause: Due to the overwhelming demands on IndieCommerce customer support during the outbreak, IndieCommerce is not accepting new IndieCommerce or IndieLite contracts at this time. This is so the team can address the urgent needs of current users. Booksellers who are interested in being placed on a waiting list for an IndieCommerce or IndieLite website can submit their contact information using this form.
In addition, in order to accelerate the process of training new stores who have already submitted new IndieCommerce and IndieLite contracts and are awaiting training to go live, the team is now scheduling live training webinars once a week until further notice.
- IndieLite training: Wednesdays at 2:00-4:00 p.m. ET
- IndieCommerce training: Thursdays at 1:00-3:00 p.m. ET
To confirm your attendance at one of these training events, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Ready to Go Live” in the subject line. A customer support representative will confirm your participation.
Booksellers are encouraged to send their thoughts, questions, or suggestions via email to IndieCommerce staff at any time.
Past editions of IndieCommunication are available on the IndieCommerce Updates page on BookWeb.org.